Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Switch ON!

 So no top pick review from last week. Red hood and the Outlaws left such a bad taste in my mouth that Superman Returns seems like high art and Batman and Robin seems like a comedic masterpiece by comparison.  So I thought I'd take a moment to do something different. I'm into tokusatstu, which are Japanese special effects shows.  There are lots of these shows but one of my favorite franchises is Kamen Rider. It started in 1971 and has been going strong since. In fact its 40th anniversary show just started introducing Kamen Rider Fourze:


Every series has varying amounts of seriousness and silliness. As a series set in high school; with a hammy, hot blooded, shonen action hero; a space addicted Genki Girl Four I don't think it could get sillier. Oh it was created by Ishinomori Shotaro creator of Cyborg 009; and head writer is Nakashima Kazuki, script writer for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Well this series just went from delightfully quirky to Crazy Awesome.

Other than the Rider design (I like the function if not the look of the suit) I'm already hooked.  Granted the series is taking the High School cliche up to eleven, but its hilarious to watch and I can't wait to see how everyone in that title sequence becomes friend and fight evil IN SPACE.


UCHUU KIIIIITAAAA!!!!!(space is awesome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment